Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Doin' It Old School.

If you're like me, you're easily distracted. You get on the computer to write, and you look up something on Google to research, then you find yourself checking email, surfing, etc, and 30 minutes pass and you realize you got on the computer to WRITE, not SURF.

I am not so bueno at disciplining myself to stay offline. I think it's a common problem. One writer friend of mine wrote the bulk of her novel in a small closet, with no Internet! ;-)

So, I've gone back to my Alphasmart Neo. It's a 2-pound, lightweight keyboard, and it's sole function is word processing. No Internet, no frills, no games. Just WRITING. I take it in the car to soccer practice, or when I wait in the super long line to pick up my kids from school, I have it in bed, on the sofa with me when Hubby and I watch TV, you name it. And then I just hook up to my Mac and it downloads everything I typed, into the document.

And I'm not wasting my time surfing. Old School is looking pretty COOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment