Monday, July 30, 2012

Lightning Bolts or Trickling Streams?

Courtesy of ClipartPal.com

I am wondering how other writers get their inspiration. Mine has often come to me in two forms: Lightning bolts--when I am either A) in the shower or B) doing something mundane like driving a carload of screaming kids to Taekwondo practice, and the entire story comes to me all at once, and I have to runrunrun to write it all out before the muse disappears with a laugh. Then there are Trickling streams, where I might just get the idea of the story, and as I ponder the possibilities it comes out S-L-O-W-L-Y as I write it.

I actually prefer the former, because I am a planner when it comes to writing. I am, by nature, NOT a "pantser" or "write-by-the-seat-of-your-pants" type person. Making it up as I go along has worked for me in the past, but I don't normally go that route. I like lightning bolts. :-D

I am only writing this because I got a SERIOUS lightning bolt last night. So much so, afterwards I was laying in bed with Hubby at 12:30 a.m., talking about the plot, the title, bouncing ideas off of him (bless him) etc.. I guess he puts up with a lot from me, and my bursts of creative energy. Even in the early hours of the morning, which is what makes him awesome. But in my defense, he'd gone to bed only 15 minutes before, having just finished watching an hours-long Olympics coverage marathon. So I don't feel that bad!

Let's see if this "lightning bolt" produces anything! One can hope! (Am I being cryptic?)


No comments:

Post a Comment