Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dark and Dreary. YEAH! (NOT.)

From reading my "free version" of Lunch Weekly yesterday, I noticed a pattern. All the YA sales were about "dystopian" societies and settings. Is Dystopia going to be the new Vampires next year? I wonder. It's a logical step. Vampires are dark and depressing. Dystopia is dark and depressing.

Well, I'm a "light" girl! Give me happiness and romance and Brady Bunch endings anytime! I have maintained this point before, but the life of a teen is depressing enough, why READ about gloom and doom as an escape?

It makes zero sense to me. THEN AGAIN (being devil's advocate, here) I was a happy teen. An anomaly, if you will. I was never an "affected" teen, or a depressed teen, just your garden variety self-confidence/self consciousness issues.

Maybe that's why I can't appreciate "dark" YA. Then again, I was an avid Stephen King fan, as a teen. I read everything of his I could get my hands on. His raw, gritty view of life made sense to me. So, I guess, in a way, I can see the appeal of "dark."

Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment