Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Mini Rant About (Some) Literary Agents.

Don't misunderstand me, I like Lit agents. They know what they're doing, and I don't. But there is one thing some agents do, that drives me completely BONKERS/NUTS/BERSERK/FLIPPING CRAZY.

Some of you may feel the same way. You find an agent who looks like they would totally "get" you, so you look at their submission guidelines. And, Lo and Behold, the dreaded "Opt Out" sentence:

"I usually reply to queries within X amount of time. I will only reply to queries that interest me, so if you do not hear from me, you can assume I am not interested."

**Cue Gutteral Scream**

I mean, really? I would SO much rather have an impersonal standardized template FORM REJECTION, than nothing at all! Because then, I hope, and hope, and hope...

Case in point: I sent a query to an agent a couple years ago. Waited. Waited. After eight weeks, it was safe to assume said agent wasn't interested. I moved on. Forgot I queried him. THEN, SIX months later, I get a request for a full. Honest-to-gosh, and I had completely written him off my list.

See? SEE??? Confusion!!! So, take this as a plea to all agents out there (probably none of which will ever see this blog) a simple "no" is better than nothing at all. Why? Because it gives us CLOSURE. So, we won't wonder if you're really just taking your time digging yourself out from under that slush pile of queries.

Call it a kindness, if you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment